If you haven't guessed it already, my name is Travis Manley. I'm a photographer (who isn't right?), a blogger (you're reading this aren't you?), a gamer, a husband, and a father. This blog is purely for my entertainment and maybe a few other people out there (hi mom). Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, March 5, 2012

Feeling Sketchy


I took a long break from drawing after finishing art school in 2004. When I was in college I drew like a madman. After graduating, I looked for a job in 3d graphics and after six months of unsuccessful job hunting I moved on to other things.

I started drawing again in February (2012). I'm always looking for ways of releasing creative energy and I thought it would be fun. It was like riding a bike and I picked it up again quickly and in no time I got into the same rut I was in during college. I was drawing the same blank face over and over again and getting frustrated because it wasn't "good" enough. I couldn't move on to anything else because I was stuck and my brain wouldn't let me get to that next step.

I had been reading a few webcomics (Penny Arcade, VG Cats, Least I Could Do) and I started playing around with drawing my own cartoons. It was a good feeling to be able to draw and not obsess about getting all the anatomy perfect. It was nice to have a goal to shoot for too: Come up with some good characters and start my own web comic. I like writing too so this is a project I'm excited about.

Here are a some random pages from my current sketchbook. 

Some quick gesture drawings

Link

Dragonborn kid (Skyrim)

Playing around with different styles


Getting there




Working on expressions


Getting closer




I still have a few more sketchbooks to fill before I'm to where I would like to be. I have lots of ideas for characters and jokes for a web comic. At this point I'm working on developing a style that will fit. My goal is to develop a comic that I will post on this blog and will add new content once a week (at least).

No comments:

Post a Comment