If you haven't guessed it already, my name is Travis Manley. I'm a photographer (who isn't right?), a blogger (you're reading this aren't you?), a gamer, a husband, and a father. This blog is purely for my entertainment and maybe a few other people out there (hi mom). Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Play games (or work) on your desktop computer from the comfort of your living room

I have always been more of a PC gamer than a console gamer, who can afford to keep up with all the new consoles coming out every year? I finally got tired of sneaking off to my office every time I wanted to play games. I started coming up with ideas on how I could play games from my computer in my living room. It was easier that I expected. It really comes down to the distance between your computer and your tv. In my case it was about 20'.

Here is what you need:

Video cable - I recommend an SVGA cable if your tv has an RGB channel. If not you could always use RCA cables the quality just isnt as good.

Audio cable - Use either RCA or 3.5mm cable (headphone extention cable) depending on what jacks you have. I have an adapter that goes from 3.5mm cable (I plug this end into my computer) to RCA (I plug this end into my tv).

Keyboard and Mouse - This is where you can run into problems. When I was researching this I was told by multiple people that you can not have a USB extention cable longer than 12" or else you will start to run into problems (missed clicks or keyboard strokes). I have only had this happen occasianally and it wanst a big deal. I have expiremented with wirelss and non-wirelss keyboards and mice and had luck with both. If you are going wirelss it depends on how good your keyboard and mouse is. I get the best results when I hook the wirless receiver to the end of my USB extention cable and have it sitting close to me.

I also use the wired Xbox controller to play most games. (im not sure if the wireless one works)

My office shares a wall with my living room. I lucked out, all I had to do was cut a small hole in the wall and run cables from one side to the other. If your office is further away from your living room tv then mine, there are lots of ways to hide your cables if you have to run them down a hallway, etc.

Here is some of the gear I used on Amazon:
(Take your time and search around and you should be able to get most of these cables for under $1 each)












No comments:

Post a Comment